Thursday 23 January 2014

23rd January 2014 A hair update

Tonight I thought I would give my readers an update on the hair front.  To most of you this may seem like a stupid and pointless blog but to those of you who are about to embark on this cruel journey or for those of you who have finished chemo and are staring at your reflection waiting to see the first signs of hair, this is for you.

I have openly googled the next phrase over and over.

"Hair growth after chemo" and "how long does it take to grow out a pixie crop"

My impatience is costuming me and I am constantly wondering if my hair has grown at all over night.  I have shamelessly measured my hair with a ruler!  It is about 2 1/2 inches now.  In my head I thought it was at least 4!!  The disappointment was crushing.

I do now have an actual crop, it is no longer chemo hair.  But now I know why my hairdresser always insisted that I never have short hair.  Because it is so thick that it has started to grow outwards.  It is also very dry and a little course.  Lovely.  I am very much looking forward to the awkward mullet/bowl cut phase.

I would like to state that I do not hate cropped hair, in fact on certain people I think that they suit shorter hair like Frankie from the sats or Ginnifer Goodwin.  Even Posh spice I have to admit that her hair in a crop personally for me looked better.  But for me I just want my bob back.  I have dreams that I have the length again and i'm so happy!  If I had chosen to have this style of course I would like it but having to be forced to have a style that I would never have normally chosen is causing havoc with my confidence and it is not helping me find myself again.

I am still so confused about who I am and as I try and figure it out a little bit more coverage would be nice.  There are only so many accessories I can place in the hair to make it look 'pretty'.

But on the plus side and as you know I do love a positive, is that hair does grow quickly.  I am impatient yes but it amazes me when I look back at pictures just how far I have come.  So for those of you ready to google, do not fear, I am ready to help and I will keep the blog updated on hair growth this coming year to show you all how I will eventually turn my skin head into a beautiful blonde bob.

So I have put together a few pictures for you all to look at and see how quickly (although it feels like an eternity) hair actually grows.

July 2013

October 2013

November 2013

December 2013

January 2014

So there you have it.... The story so far. Like I said I will keep a photo diary and keep you all posted on the state of the hair.  Blogs like this have really helped me and so I hope that this will help those of you desperate for your identity back because I think that is the main dilemma.  Not having your identity back even though treatment may be over.

Hair growth everywhere else is completely back to normal.  The lashes are long again although a little wispy but I think once the slightly crooked ones fall out the rest will grow through.

It's funny really but hair grows at such rapid rate when you are not paying attention.  One day I woke up and literally had eyelashes again.  I wish I could switch off on the hair on the head front but I guess it is human nature to worry and to think. Like watching paint dry, its boring and frustrating. I will never be able to change it but recording the process is also fun.  This time next year I will say wow look how far I have come. (Here's hoping)

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

}, 10);